The Valkyrie engine is a 1520 cc horizontally-opposed six cylinder liquid cooled boxer engine transplanted from Honda's Goldwing model. This was unusual since most "cruiser" style motorcycles were based on a V-twin engine design similar to the engine of a Harley-Davidson. In its transplant from the Goldwing, the most notable engine changes were the camshaft and the change to six individual 28 mm carburetors, one for each cylinder. These changes were made to increase power and torque. These changes also gave the engine a little more character by giving it a unique sound.
On introduction in 1997, a naked Standard and a Tourer model were offered. The Tourer included a windshield and lockable hard saddlebags.
In 1999, the Interstate model was added to the lineup, which included a fork-mounted fairing along with a trunk at the rear of the motorcycle.
As sales eventually dwindled, the Tourer model was dropped in 2000 and the and Interstate was dropped in 2001, leaving only the Standard model remaining. 2003 saw the Standard offered only in black and was the last year of the original Valkyrie.
Honda introduced a limited edition model in 2003 named the Valkyrie Rune with an 1800 cc engine. It was a major departure from the original Valkyrie in styling, purpose and price ($25K–$26K).
Honda presented the [EVO6 Concept Motorcycle] at the Tokyo Motor Show 2007. Based on the flat-6 1832cc engine from its Goldwing, the EVO6 is said to produce more power than its touring ancestor. The EVO6 features a transmission [HFT] that can be operated in a fully automatic mode or a six-speed manual mode.
- Engine Type: Liquid cooled horizontally opposed 6 cylinder
- Displacement: 1520 cc
- Bore and Stoke: 71 mm x 64 mm
- Valve Train: Belt driven, SOHC
- Carburation: Six, 28 mm, diaphragm-type, CV
- Compression ratio: 9.8:1
- Transmission: Five-speed
- Driveline: Shaft
- Front Brakes: Dual 296 mm floating discs with twin piston calipers
- Rear Brakes: Single 316 mm disc with twin piston caliper
- Front tire: 150/80R-17
- Rear tire: 180/70R-16
- Front Suspension: 45 mm inverted fork, 130 mm travel
- Rear Suspension: Dual shocks with 5-way spring preload adjustment, 120 mm travel
- Seat height: 735 mm (28.9 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1690 mm (66.5 in.)
- Dry weight: 306 kg. (681 lb.)
- Fuel capacity: 20 liters (4.4 Imp. gal.) (5.3 US gal.)
- Rune USA The site for the Rune enthusiast and Owner
- VRCC Valkyrie Riders Cruiser Club
- VALKYRIE GENEALOGY
- HONDA VALKYRIE TRIKE CONVERSIONS
- Valkyrie Riders Forum on Delphi
- Honda Gallery-GL1500C Valkyrie