|Constructor||Honda Racing F1|
|Designer(s)|| Shuhei Nakamoto|
(Deputy MD [Technical])
(Deputy Technical Director)
(Head of Aerodynamics)
|Chassis||Moulded carbon fibre and honeycomb composite monocoque|
|Suspension (front)||Double wishbone with pushrod-activated torsion springs and rockers, Showa dampers|
|Suspension (rear)||Double wishbone with pushrod-activated torsion springs and rockers, Showa dampers|
|Engine||Honda RA808E 2.4L 90° V8, 19,000 RPM rev limited naturally aspirated, mid-mounted|
|Transmission||Honda Carbon composite maincase, 7-speed, Honda internals sequential semi-automatic hydraulic activation|
|Fuel||Elf (5.75% bio fuel)|
BBS Forged Magnesium Wheels
|Notable entrants||Honda Racing F1 Team|
|Notable drivers||16. Jenson Button|
17. Rubens Barrichello
|Debut||2008 Australian Grand Prix|
The car was unveiled at a test in Valencia on 23 January 2008, a week before the car's official launch, driven by Rubens Barrichello. The car was officially unveiled at the team's operational headquarters in Brackley, England.
For the 2008 season, the team has retained their drivers for the previous two seasons, Jenson Button and Rubens Barrichello. Honda have also announced that Alexander Wurz has joined the team from Williams, although Wurz announced his retirement from competition in 2007, Wurz could not turn down the prospect of working alongside Ross Brawn. Honda also confirmed that their young driver line up will include 2006 British Formula 3 Champion Mike Conway and Italian Luca Filippi.
The RA108 has been a constant mid to rear end car in 2008 testing with Jenson Button saying the car lacks "driveability" as the drivers and team adapt the RA108 to new rules. For the 2008 season, the FIA has implemented rules that require all teams to use one gearbox for four races and a standard McLaren Electronic Systems ECU that prevents the use of driving aids such as traction control and engine braking. Ross Brawn has already said the team has a better chance for the 2009 Formula One season as the regulations for 2009 will be totally new.
Button has commented on how positively the team has developed the RA108. At their final week of testing at the Jerez Circuit in Spain, the team added new aerodynamics, with most of the wings being revised. Head of Race and Test Engineering, Steve Clark, believes the car is a clear step forward.
Complete Formula One results
|2008||Honda Racing F1||Honda V8||B||AUS||MAL||BHR||ESP||TUR||MON||CAN||FRA||GBR||GER||HUN||EUR||BEL||ITA||SIN||JPN||CHN||BRA||14||9th|
- "Barrichello debuts new Honda RA108". f1.gpupdate.net. http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/01/23/barrichello-debuts-new-honda-ra108/.
- "Honda presents RA108". f1.gpupdate.net. http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/01/29/honda-presents-ra108/.
- "Wurz: Brawn made Honda proposal interesting". f1.gpupdate.net. http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/01/31/wurz-brawn-made-honda-proposal-interesting/.
- "New Honda lacks driveability - Button". f1.gpupdate.net. http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/02/04/new-honda-lacks-driveability-button/.
- "Brawn turns attention to 2009". f1.gpupdate.net. http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/02/22/brawn-turns-attention-to-2009/.
- "Button positive after final week of testing". f1.gpupdate.net. http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/03/07/button-positive-after-final-week-of-testing/.
- "Last gasp progress for Honda". f1.gpupdate.net. http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2008/03/07/last-gasp-progress-for-honda/.
- http://www.hondaracingf1.com/loband/car_overview.php - Honda RA108 Overview
- http://www.f1technical.net/news/8129 - RA108 technical specifications
- http://www.racecar-engineering.com/news/cars/176483/honda-ra108.html Launch story